Located near the Sea Bridge and at the distance of 4 km from the Alappuzha town in Kerala, there resides a 150 year old towering Alappuzha Lighthouse. Built in the year 1862, it was one of the fussiest ports and trade centre of Kerala during that time. It is one of the oldest lighthouses on the south-west coast of India.
The lighthouse construction was started while during the rule of Marthanda Varma- II Maharaja and was completed during the rule of Rama Varma Maharaja of Travancore. The first stone was laid here by the wife of the Port Officer Huge Crawford on 26th April, 1860 and it was commissioned on 28th March 1862 by Ms Francis Newcombe Maltby who was the wife of the Resident Francis Newcombe.
FEATURES OF ALAPPUZHA LIGHTHOUSE
The lighthouse at Alappuzha is constructed using laterite stones and teak. Earlier, it had a coconut oil, double-wick lamp that was used till 1952 and then it was later reinstated by 500 mm drum optic and DA gas flasher. Then in the year 1960, the old equipments were changed again by a direct drive system and an emergency lantern of 300 mm. Later on, 230V Metal Halide Lamp was finally replaced in the year 1999.